Kir Bear

Her princess diaries

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Small Wonder

Thanks to the many long, long drives to Dewey Beach this summer, I have spent a little time this morning researching my home state.

(Disclaimer: I live in Northern Delaware, which is very different from the Rte. 404 - Rte. 16 drive to Dewey. Northern Delaware is the home of MBNA, University of Delaware, Wilmington, my parents and a 20 minute commute to Philly. Obviously, this makes my house much cooler.)

What I learned about Delaware today:


  • State Bug: Lady Bug- Adopted April 25, 1974, the Lady Bug was chosen by the Legislature after an intensive effort on the insect's behalf by Mrs. Mollie Brown-Rust and her 2nd grade students of the Lulu M. Ross Elementary School in Milford, Delaware. Wow, what would we have done without Mrs. Brown Rust (?what the heck???) and her "intensive efforts!"

  • We have a State Song. Which is not: "I'm Delaware-born and Delaware-bred, and when I die, I'll be Delaware-dead. So it's Del, Del, Del, De-la-ware .... Del, Del, Del, De-la-ware ..... Del, Del, Del, De-la-ware .... the greatest state!" My mom totally lied to me.

  • State Nickname: "The First State": On December 7, 1787, it became the first of the 13 original states to ratify the U.S. Constitution. Became the official State nickname on May 23, 2002 following a request by Mrs. Anabelle O'Malley's First Grade Class at Mt. Pleasant Elementary School. (What is it with these crazy school teachers? Shouldn't they maybe focus on, I don't know, TEACHING?)

  • And yes, my state is very, very, very small. Delaware is 96 miles long and varies from 9 to 35 miles in width. Isn't that just so cute? Don't you just want to eat it up with a spoon, it's just so cute!

So there's a little lesson about Delaware. For more information and to learn the State Fish, check out this very informational site :-)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home